The Do’s and Don'ts of Wearing a Mask While Exercising
Most people are quite accustomed to wearing a mask whenever they leave their homes and venture out into the public. Though this can be beneficial in most cases, there may be concern about wearing a mask when exercising outdoors or at the gym. There are steps you can take to exercise safely when wearing a mask, and then times when you should avoid wearing the mask altogether.
Some Important Tips About Wearing Masks During Exercise
- Do I wear a mask when exercising? – Certainly, wearing a mask can affect the overall performance of your workout. For the most part, however, especially if you are exercising outdoors in public and are unable to maintain the suggested 6-foot social distancing, it proves best to wear a mask. We have been informed that wearing a mask can not only protect yourself but protect others from the virus as well.
If, however, you find yourself in the middle of a park during not so busy hours, or even if you live in a small neighborhood, then donning a mask may not be necessary at all. If you do come upon other individuals, just be sure to keep your social distance.
- Does a mask interfere with my overall workout performance? – Masks, even those that are extremely breathable, minimize airflow and make it rather difficult for individuals to breathe. When working out, we all become winded. It is a natural part of a healthy workout. With that said, wearing a mask while exercising can certainly increase how winded you may become. For this reason, it may be best to find a location during off peak hours where there are very few people so you can perform your workout and not worry about wearing a mask.
- Wearing a mask at the gym – Like most public buildings, wearing a mask is a mandate in the gym in most states because of the fact that the room you are exercising in is a shared space. In addition, it can be quite difficult to keep a 6-foot distance from every individual working out in the gym. Thus, wearing a mask is required.
- How safe is it to actually exercise or workout with a mask on? – For the most part when exercising with a mask on it is fairly safe. However, to ensure that you are not putting your personal health in danger be sure to consult with your doctor. If you suffer with any type of disease or serious disorder that can affect your ability to breathe typically, then consulting with your doctor about mask wearing during exercise is an absolute must do. If you suffer with a heart condition, asthma, or other respiratory condition you need to rely upon your doctor’s personalized recommendations specific to your particular condition and your health and fitness history.
- Be sure to listen to your own body – Wearing a mask while exercising can increase your risk level and add stress to your body. With this in mind, be on the lookout for some specific signs of complication including dizziness, chest pains, lightheadedness, and overall difficult breathing. If you begin to experience any of these symptoms, stop exercising immediately.
Choosing the Right Mask
When wearing a mask while exercising, it is important you choose the proper type. There are a variety of different masks to choose from including cloth masks, surgical masks, N95 masks, professional grade medical masks, and even face shields. Again, we suggest you consult with your doctor to determine the mask that best fits your individual needs.
Here at Riverside Medical Group we are committed to providing all our patients with important insight they need on a number of medical issues, and that includes important information we can share on the current Covid-19 Pandemic. Our team of dedicated specialists is truly all about our patients and look forward to our every opportunity to serve and provide care to those in need.