Many women are unfamiliar with breastfeeding and the many benefits it affords. Breastfeeding is an amazing means of bonding with your baby and the milk you provide gives your baby nutrition and substances needed to fight off infections. Here at Riverside Medical Group in Secaucus, New Jersey we offer free breastfeeding education classes that help Mom to understand the how’s and the why’s of breastfeeding as well as the medical and psychological benefits breastfeeding offers both Mom and baby. With that said, if you can fit one of our breastfeeding education classes into your schedule, then the team here at Riverside Medical Group definitely recommends you do.
It is always good practice to educate yourself on prenatal facts and procedures and certainly our free breastfeeding classes can introduce you to a variety of different holds and help to ensure you that over time, breastfeeding will be the best option for both you and your baby. Just remember though, that both baby and Mom are going to need a bit of time to get used to the procedure and finally get the full hang of it.
What to Expect When Attending a Breastfeeding Education Class
At our friendly but informative classes, Moms to be learn a variety of important facts about breastfeeding, including, but not limited to the following:
- Proper latching and positioning – If Mom is unable to engage in proper latching it can be very painful and result in cracked or bleeding nipples. In our free breastfeeding classes, you will learn about cradle holds, football holds, and a whole lot more.
- Your milk source – We help our new Moms to understand that the more often you effectively breastfeed your baby, the more milk you will produce. Many new mothers think they have to supplement their breast milk with formula for fear of not being able to produce enough milk.
- Knowing how much milk your baby needs – Newborns don’t require a great deal of milk despite the fact that if you were to give them a bottle of formula they would probably drink the whole thing because it is their natural instinct to suckle. In our breastfeeding classes we help you to understand how much milk your baby needs and how often they should be fed.
- Skin to skin contact – We teach new mothers the importance of skin to skin contact and how it helps with latching, bonding, comforting and a variety of other issues as well.
- Pumping and when you should start – Pumping too early may very well leave you with an oversupply of milk. If, however, your baby is full-term, healthy and regularly and effectively breastfeeding, it is best to wait a few weeks before you start pumping and storing your breast milk. If, on the other hand, your baby is pre-term then you may want to start pumping immediately after birth.
- When to introduce your baby to a bottle – There really is no ideal time or schedule to introduce your baby to a bottle. However, you will learn that lactation specialists typically recommend you wait until your supply of milk has been attained and your breastfeeding procedures are effective and going well
- Be sure to take care of yourself – The first several weeks of breastfeeding can be quite exhausting and challenging. Our team of dedicated specialists is on hand to teach new mothers ways to care for themselves since it is critically important not only to the baby but to Mom as well.
Take Advantage of our Free Breastfeeding Classes Today
At the Riverside Medical Group here in Secaucus, New Jersey we take tremendous pride in our free breastfeeding education classes and encourage all our valued clients to participate and take advantage of the useful information and insight we provide. Take a peek at our calendar and find the classes that fit your schedule best. You’ll be more than glad you did!