Dr. Ammar Haikal is a rheumatologist board certified in internal medicine and rheumatology.
Dr. Haikal completed his internal medicine training and rheumatology specialty at the University of Kansas Medical Center. Prior to graduating from medical school, Dr. Haikal completed some of his clerkships in the United Kingdom at St George’s School of London, and Leicester Royal Infirmary. In the United States, he completed additional elective clerkships at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, University of Connecticut and Yale School of Medicine in Connecticut, and Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Dr. Haikal has interest in the care of complex rheumatic diseases such as vasculitis and scleroderma. He is a member of the American College of Rheumatology and, during his training, he completed a variety of scholar activities including poster presentations in national meetings at the American College of Rheumatology (ACR), American College of Physicians (ACP), and the National Kidney Foundation.
Dr. Haikal’s personal philosophy when it comes to patient care is, “Each patient is unique and requires personalized care. I listen to my patients to better address their concerns. I prioritize their issues, then develop treatment plans incorporating the patient’s values and situation. I always try my best to provide compassionate care, because medicine is more than prescribing medications. I treat my patients as I would want my family to be treated, as I would want my family to be cared for.”
- Haikal A, Thimmangari, K. Colon Perforation as Initial Presentation of Refractory and Complex Sclerosing Mesenteritis. Cureus Journal OI: 10.7759/cureus.17142
- Haikal A, Tanawat, A, Myers, K, Schmidt P, Anis A. A Rare Case of Central Nervous System Vasculitis in a Patient with Perinuclear Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibodies (p-ANCA) Associated Interstitial Lung Disease. Cureus Journal doi: 10.7759/cureus.7144
- Haikal A, Everist B, Jetanalin P, Maz M. Cervical Computed Tomography Dependent Diagnosis of Crowned Dens Syndrome in Calcium Pyrophosphate Dihydrate Crystal Deposition Disease. AJM 10.1016/j.amjmed.2019.06.050. ISSN 0002-9343
- Haikal A, Borba E, Khaja T, Doolittle G, Schmidt P. Nivolumab-induced new-onset seronegative rheumatoid arthritis in a patient with advanced metastatic melanoma: A case report and literature review. Avicenna J Med. 2018 Jan-Mar;8(1):34-36. doi: 10.4103/ajm.AJM_127_17.
- Haikal A, Ray AS, Yu A S.L. Vancomycin and the risk of acute kidney injury: systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016 Dec 7;11(12):2132-2140. Epub 2016 Nov 28.
Published Abstracts & Poster Presentation (National Meetings):
- Moudgal A, Bhadbhade A, Haikal A, Maz M. Identification of the Prevalence and Patterns of Celiac disease associated Arthropathy and Coexistence of Celiac Disease with Rheumatic and/or Inflammatory Disorders in a Single Tertiary Medical Center. Abstract accepted for American College of Rheumatology Conference (ACR) meeting in November 2019 Atlanta, GA.
- Haikal A, Fraga G, Springer J, Maz M. A Single Center Experience of Temporal Artery Biopsies Performed in 30 African American Patients. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018; 70 (suppl 10).
- Haikal A, Sehar N, Denney L, Teiwes J, Moriarty P.M. Adult relapsing focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) maintained in partial remission following lipoprotein apheresis: Case study. Atherosclerosis-Journal. Sep 2016 Volume 252, Pages e152–e15.
- Haikal A, Hayley D, Melton B, Burkhardt C. Is low health literacy associated with medication discrepancies? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 64:(S)250, MAY 2016: 0002-8614.